So Spring hit a little early on the East Coast and it’s buggin’ me out! I thought I had at least another month before I was forced to stop layering and start working out … NOPE. Now I have to focus on both physical AND food activity.
When it comes to food, I’m not the healthiest of eaters, but I’m also not a junk food junkie! One of the hardest snacks to limit in my diet is chips! The crunchy texture and salty deliciousness is just too perfect to replace. I try to turn to raw veggies as often as I can, but that usually requires hummus or ranch; large quantities of it. In an attempt to bring together crunchy, savory flavors and raw veggies, without sacrificing flavor, I created a chickpea salad that’s perfect for Spring time and your waist line!
This salad is great for any casual or fancy meal you might have planned. I’ve had this salad with anything from pita sandwiches for lunch to steak tips for dinner. It’s also perfect on-the-go! Definitely give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! Comment below.
Makes 4-5 1 cup servings
Requires 2 hours of refrigeration
- 2 – 15.5 oz Canned Chickpeas
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 cup Fresh Shredded Carrot (about 2 full-sized carrots)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Raisins (no sugar added – I recommend Newman’s Own)
- Open both cans of chickpeas and drain in a small colander. Rinse chickpeas under cold running water. Allow to drain and place chickpeas into a large mixing bowl.
- Take carrots and shred them using a food grater. Add shredded carrot to the mixing bowl.
- Dice the bell pepper into small cube-shaped pieces and add to mixing bowl.
- Add the olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper to mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients together until combined well.
- Add Raisins to the mixing bowl and combine well. Cover mixing bowl with lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. If you missed the warning above, that’s ok, this salad still tastes great if served immediately!
- The chickpea salad will last for up to 3-5 days refrigerated.
- The raisins will begin to absorb moisture and swell, this does not mean the salad has gone bad, they are simply hydrating. If you prefer the raisins to remain dry, add them to the salad just before serving.